Our JMC Ambassadors are some of the best students in our program. They are smart, energetic and enthusiastic and do a great job of promoting the profession and acting as hosts for the A.Q. Miller School.
Whether it’s hosting campus visitors, attending state and national recruiting events, serving as a peer mentor, assisting with special events and guest speakers or promoting important information to our student body, our ambassadors are proud to represent the A. Q. Miller School wherever they go.
Types of involvement include individual and group campus visits, off-campus recruiting (previous students have gone to Kansas City, Hutchinson, and even Seattle, WA), new major welcome, school events and support, professional development with industry professionals, social media management and faculty mentorship opportunities.
Follow #JMCAmbassador on Twitter @kstatejmc to get to know more about Ambassadors.
Why Be an Ambassador?
Here are some quotes from current and past Ambassadors!
Because I'm an ambassador I was able to... "Be a part of a great group of fellow students, share what I've learned in JMC, and understand our program better overall"
I love being an ambassador because.... "I am able to come into contact with so many wonderful prospective students and families. I love showing off our amazing school."
"Ambassadors has opened so many doors and allowed me to become closer with the JMC students and staff."
Want to Join!?
If you want to join the team, this is a terrific way to build professional development experience and serve in a leadership role.
The 2018-2019 application is due on February 5, 2018, at 5pm and can be found on OrgSync.
Requirements for JMC Ambassadors
- Attend regular monthly meetings.
- Meetings will be held Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. twice per month.
- Work is NOT an excuse to miss a meeting.
- Earn 30 points per semester
- Ambassadors earn points through helping with student visits and recruitment, promoting events, designing flyers or graphics, and much more!
- You keep track of points through Orgysync.
- Ambassadors who fail to earn at least 30 points will not be eligible to receive a professional recommendation from the advisors and will not be asked back the next semester.
- Assist with Kedziepalooza & K-State Open House
- These are two of our biggest events throughout the year.
- Ambassadors help with fundraising, planning and staffing of these events.
- Attend annual leadership retreat, to be held Sun. Aug. 19, 2018 at Dole Hall.
- You will be trained to give tours, build community among fellow ambassadors, and form committees to work on projects.
- This event is REQUIRED to be part of our program.
- Serve as a peer mentor to other JMC students
- Ambassadors are matched with underclass or transfer students and meet regularly to help new students learn about JMC.
- These meetings can be over coffee or just chatting in Kedzie Library.
- Maintain good academic standing within JMC and K-State
- You are expected to be a model student. If your class attendance, grades, or general academic performance is less than exemplary, you could be put on probation and barred from helping with ambassador activities.
- Both professor input during the semester and recorded grades are considered part of your general academic performance.
Sun. Aug. 19: 9am-4pm @ Dole Hall
RECRUITMENT AND OUTREACH EVENTS
Kedziepalooza: 8/28/18 5-6pm @ Kedzie Lawn
K-State Open House: 4/6/19 All day
Journalism Education Association Conference Fall: Nov 1-4 Chicago, IL
Journalism Education Association Conference Spring: April 25-28 Anaheim, CA
K-State Celebrates: x2 September 2018
K-State Sundays: x2 TBD January 2019
Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 Meetings - Includes both business and professional development
August 21st: 5:30-7pm - KSDB Radio and Collegian Media Group Tour
Sept 11th: 5:30-7pm
Sept 25th: 5:30-7pm
Oct 9th: 5:30-7pm
Oct 23rd: 5:30-7pm
Nov 6th : 5:30-7pm
Nov 27th: 5:30-7pm
Jan 29th: 5:30-7pm
Feb 12th: 5:30-7pm
Feb 26th: 5:30-7pm
March 26th: 5:30-7pm
April 9th : 5:30-7pm
April 23rd : 5:30-7pm
May 7th: 5:30-7pm
ATTENTION FUTURE K-STATERS!
If you want to meet with a current student to talk about what their experiences at the A.Q. Miller School have been like, please contact the Ambassador advisor, Sarah Howe to schedule a meeting.