Changing from Pre-JMC to JMC major
All students enter our program as pre-majors. Pre-major students are required to complete the Gateway courses with a “C” or better, then choose either Journalism or Strategic Communications as your pathway and choose your outside concentration focus. Your adviser can help with any questions.
Complete JMC Gateway
To be declared a JMC major a student must successfully pass the JMC Gateway courses with a “C” or better in each course:
- MC 100 JMC Orientation (0 hours) (This course is a credit/no credit course)
- MC 110 Mass Communication in Society (3 hours)
- MC 130 Media Writing Conventions and Mechanics (1 hour)
- MC 131 Media Writing Styles and Platforms (1 hour)
- MC 132 Media Writing Perspectives (1 hour)
- Foundational Skills courses (choose 3):
Transfer students are eligible to apply for admission to the school upon successful completion of the JMC Gateway courses with a C or better.