Ready? Set! Go! Careers and Internships
The A.Q. Miller School is dedicated to making its students competitive for careers in a constantly evolving industry. All students are required to complete an internship in their field in order to graduate. We have also developed the JMC Job Ready Program to help students hone the skills necessary to earn internships and careers that will launch them into professional success.
Internships are opportunities for students to gain valuable real-world experience in preparation for beginning a professional career. All JMC students are required to complete an internship prior to graduation. While JMC does not officially place student interns, the School does coordinate efforts to provide a positive experience for students. Internships are a coordinated effort between several key individuals:
An eligible student who has completed departmental prerequisites.
A professional in the work world with the required desire and media industry education and training to provide a student intern with a meaningful, college-level, work experience. The site supervisor acts as a mentor and guide to the intern and provides feedback on the intern’s progress to both the intern and JMC.
A faculty member from JMC who academically guides the student through the internship. The faculty coordinator verifies the academic validity of the experience, and assists the intern in establishing meaningful learning objectives and recognizing the learning which has occurred. The faculty coordinator determines the final grade for the internship.
Depending on their pathway emphasis, students participate in one to three credit hours of internship experience, ensuring they gain real-world experience in the field of their choice. JMC is committed to creating competitive students for career and internship opportunities all over the world. Students have found successful internships with:
- 502 Media Group, Manhattan, Kansas
- Fort Riley Public Affairs Office, Fort Riley, Kansas
- Kansas Department of Agriculture, Manhattan, Kansas
- University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, Missouri
- Ronald McDonald House, Kansas City, Missouri
- OZ Museum / Columbian Theatre, Wamego, Kansas
- NBC Universal, Winter Olympics, PyeongChang, South Korea
- USA Football, Indianapolis
- NASA Office of Communications, Houston, Texas
- The Wichita Eagle, Wichita, Kansas
- Kansas City Royals baseball, Kansas City, Missouri
- Country Music Association, Nashville, Tennessee
- CBS News, New York, New York
- Many other local, regional, and national companies and non-profit organizations