1. K-State home
  2. »JMC
  3. »Academics
  4. »JMC Graduate Studies
  5. »Admission to the Graduate School

A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications

Admission to the Graduate School

Admission to the Journalism and Mass Communications Master's degree program requires a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university, with basic undergraduate work in one or more areas of mass communications.

Provisional admission may be granted to applicants entering the degree program with no previous coursework in mass communications, with the requirement to take basic undergraduate courses along with graduate courses their first year.

Application Requirements

Also required are satisfactory scores on the GRE (an average in the 50th percentile) and an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above on the final 60 hours of coursework. Consideration may given for probationary admission to applicants with lower GPAs.

Domestic applications will be reviewed year-round. International applications are due February 1 for the fall semester, August 1 for the spring semester and December 1 for the summer semester. All applications for assistantships are due February 1.

Application Checklist (all must be original hard copies and are mandatory):

  • Application & fee
  • Official transcripts
  • Statement of purpose
  • GRE scores
  • 3 letters of recommendation (download form in PDF format)
  • Resume

Additional information is available at www.ksu.edu/grad/. For more information contact Raluca Cozma

International Applicants

In addition to the materials above, international applicants must submit the Affidavit of Financial Support and TOEFL scores. For TOEFL scores less than 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) or 100 (internet-based) an English proficiency test will be given at time of enrollment if admitted to the program. Students who do not pass this test will be referred to the English Language Program for English coursework.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Students who do not wish to work toward a Master's degree but take some graduate-level courses may be admitted to the Graduate School as non-degree students. Applicants will need to submit an application and an official transcript from the university the undergraduate degree was earned. An application fee is not required. No more than 9 hours earned as a non-degree student may be transferred into a regular degree program should students wish to later apply.