K-State Social Media Week
As social media continues to offer new conveniences and present new challenges for students, Kansas State University is launching it's first ever Social Media Week February 14 - 18.
This event brings together students, educators and industry professionals to provide insights and opportunities for maximizing the power of social media to succeed in a globally connected world.
--> Host a workshop, roundtable discussion, or guest speaker on one of the featured topics (listed below). Or, feel free to suggest a topic related to social media. All units and departments at Kansas State University are invited to take part in K-State Social Media Week. Please fill out a brief form via qualtrics with your interest.
K-State Social Media Week (#KSUSMW) encourages students to explore the opportunities inherent in social media: to stay informed, explore new ideas, express themselves personally, and engage in discussion with others around the world. Programming and events during #KSUSMW seek to provide students with the following skills, competencies and knowledge:
- Critically evaluate their own social media use in a rapidly changing world and diverse society.
- Recognize opportunities for proactive and collaborative digital communication that have the potential to benefit communities and inspire civic engagement.
- Practice critical thinking related to media, use problem solving skills to deconstruct content and collaborate to create content.
- Identify and analyze ethical and societal issues related to social media communication and emerging technology from multiple points of view.
- Understand the role social media plays in various industries and legal responsibilities related to participation in social media.
- Demonstrate resilience and personal well-being when faced with effects of social media use.
WORKSHOP, ACTIVITY, & ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION TOPICS:
|Digital Identity Management on Social Media||Developing and managing a personal, digital brand on social media.|
|Communication & Conflict on Social Media||Understanding social media polarization, experiencing and resolving digital harassment/cyberbullying, navigating digital drama.|
|Problem Solving & Collaboration with Social Media||Harness the power of social media for civic engagement and collective action. Identify and research problems and collaborate with peers, educators and professionals to create solutions.|
|Signature Event with Featured Guest Speaker||Using social media to create positive change|
|Educator Roundtable||Social media tools in the classroom|
|Health & Wellbeing on Social Media||Coping with anxiety and stress from social media use, social media redefining both social and self-boundaries.|
|Social Media Influencing||Building influence on social media, generating a following, activating fans|
|Media Literacy on Social Media||Recognizing misinformation on social media, critically evaluating content, understanding algorithms and media bubbles.|
|Content Creator Studio||Practicing digital competencies in audio, video, photo, writing.|
- Host a workshop, roundtable discussion, or guest speaker on one of the featured topics. Or, feel free to suggest a topic related to social media. All units and departments at Kansas State University are invited to take part in K-State Social Media Week. Please fill out a brief form via qualtrics with your interest.
- Join our list of campus partners to help plan and execute #KSUSMW each year. Send inquiries to Jana Thomas at