JMC Ambassadors represent the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications in a professional, enthusiastic and informed manner, interacting with a variety of audiences, including prospective students, alumni, current students and faculty. Ambassadors assist with various activities on and off campus to promote the School and Kansas State University, like the annual A.Q. Miller Kedziepalooza, held on the east lawn.
Our JMC Ambassadors are some of the best students in our program. They are smart, energetic and enthusiastic and do a great job of promoting the profession and acting as hosts for the A.Q. Miller School.
Whether it’s hosting campus visitors, attending state and national recruiting events, serving as a peer mentor, assisting with special events and guest speakers or promoting important information to our student body, our ambassadors are proud to represent the A. Q. Miller School wherever they go.
Types of involvement include individual and group campus visits, off-campus recruiting (previous students have gone to Kansas City, Hutchinson, and even Seattle, WA), new major welcome, school events and support, professional development with industry professionals, social media management and faculty mentorship opportunities.
Follow #JMCAmbassador on Twitter @kstatejmc to get to know more about Ambassadors.
Why Be an Ambassador?
Here are some quotes from current and past Ambassadors!
Because I'm an ambassador I was able to... "Be a part of a great group of fellow students, share what I've learned in JMC, and understand our program better overall"
I love being an ambassador because.... "I am able to come into contact with so many wonderful prospective students and families. I love showing off our amazing school."
"Ambassadors has opened so many doors and allowed me to become closer with the JMC students and staff."
Want to Join?
If you want to join the team, this is a terrific way to build professional development experience and serve in a leadership role.
The 2019-2020 application is due on Fri. Jan. 25, 2019 at 5pm and can be found here: https://orgsync.com/120065/forms/346288.
Requirements for JMC Ambassadors
- Attend regular monthly meetings.
- Fall 2019-Spring 2020 - Meetings will be held Tuesdays at 4:30 p.m. twice per month.
- Work is NOT an excuse to miss a meeting.
- Earn 30 points per semester
- Ambassadors earn points through helping with student visits and recruitment, promoting events, designing flyers or graphics, and much more!
- You keep track of points through Orgysync.
- Ambassadors who fail to earn at least 30 points will not be eligible to receive a professional recommendation from the advisors and will not be asked back the next semester.
- Assist with JMC events and outreach
- Kedziepalooza (Fall semester) and K-State Open House (Spring semester) are two of our biggest events throughout the year. Ambassadors will also assist with events involving guest speakers from the industry, professional development and workshops, recruitment (on state and national level) and alumni networking. We also collaborate with campus partners for various communication and media outreach.
- Ambassadors help with fundraising, planning and staffing of these events. Ambassadors will be required to shadow 1 student visit in the spring of their invitation to join in order to continue in the fall.
- Attend annual leadership retreat, to be held Sun. Aug. 25, 2019 at Dole Hall.
- You will be trained to give tours, build community among fellow ambassadors, and form committees to work on projects.
- This event is REQUIRED to be part of our program.
- Serve as a peer mentor and model student to other JMC students
- Ambassadors are matched with underclass or transfer students and meet regularly to help new students learn about JMC.
- These meetings can be over coffee or just chatting in Kedzie Library.
- Maintain good academic standing within JMC and K-State
- You are expected to be a model student. If your class attendance, grades, or general academic performance is less than exemplary, you could be put on probation and barred from helping with ambassador activities.
- Both professor input during the semester and recorded grades are considered part of your general academic performance.
FALL 2018-SPRING 2019
Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 Meetings - Includes both business and professional development
August 21st: 5:30-7pm - KSDB Radio and Collegian Media Group Tour
Sept 11th: 5:30-7pm
Sept 25th: 5:30-7pm
Oct 9th: 5:30-7pm
Oct 23rd: 5:30-7pm
Nov 6th : 5:30-7pm
Nov 27th: 5:30-7pm
Dec. 4th: Holiday Party
Jan 29th: 5:30-7pm
Feb 12th: 5:30-7pm
Feb 26th: 5:30-7pm
March 19th: 5:30-7pm Open House Planning *PLEASE NOTE CORRECTION FOR SPRING BREAK
March 26th: 5:30-7pm Open House Planning *PLEASE NOTE CORRECTION FOR SPRING BREAK
April 9th : 5:30-7pm
April 23rd : 5:30-7pm
May 7th: 5:30-7pm (Spring BBQ)
RECRUITMENT AND OUTREACH EVENTS 2018- 2019
AMBASSADOR RETREAT - Sun. Aug. 19: 9am-4pm @ Dole Hall
Kedziepalooza: 8/28/18 5-6pm @ Kedzie Lawn
K-State Celebrates: September 2018 x2
Journalism Education Association Conference Fall: Nov 1-4 Chicago, IL
Miller Chiller: Tues. Feb. 19 4:30-5:30pm
Media Meet Up: Thurs. Feb. 28 4:30-8:00pm
K-State Open House: Sat. 4/6/19 All day
Journalism Education Association Conference Spring: April 25-28 Anaheim, CA
Fall 2019-Spring 2020 EVENTS
AMBASSADOR RETREAT 2019-2020
Sun. Aug. 25: 9am-4pm @ Dole Hall
RECRUITMENT AND OUTREACH EVENTS 2019-2020
Kedziepalooza: Tues. Sept. 10, 2019 6:30-7:30pm @ Kedzie Lawn
K-State Celebrates: September 2019 x2
Journalism Education Association Conference Fall: Nov. 21-24 Washington, D.C.
K-State Sundays: January 2020 x2
KSPA: TBD - February 2020
Journalism Education Association Spring 2020 Conference: Spring Nashville (April 16-18)
FBLA: TBD - April 2020
Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Meetings - Includes both business meeting and professional development opportunities
August 27st: 4:30-6:00pm - KSDB Radio and Collegian Media Group Tour
Sept 10th: 4:30-6pm
Sept 24th: 4:30-6pm
Oct 8th: 4:30-6pm
Oct 15rd: 4:30-6pm
Nov 5th : 4:30-6pm
Nov 19th: 4:30-6pm
Dec. 3: 4:30-6pm
Jan 27th: 4:30-6pm
Feb 11th: 4:30-6pm
Feb 25th: 4:30-6pm
Mar. 12th: 4:30-6pm
March 25th: 4:30-6pm
April 8th : 4:30-6pm
April 22rd : 4:30-6pm
May 6th: 4:30-6pm (Spring BBQ)
Other events and outreach opportunities TBA!